Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Shades of Aeolus


Aeolus, according to the ancient Greeks, was the Father of the Winds.  Legend has it that he gifted Odysseus with a favorable wind and a bag in which he had confined all of the ill winds.  I get the impression that as that famous Greek mariner did on his sojourn home, so he has done once again.  The ill winds seem to have escaped.

These winds have been blowing both literally and figuratively.  A low pressure system covered all of South Dakota and much of the Midwest - I heard on the radio that this sort of pressure system causes hurricanes on the Gulf of Mexico.  We just don't  have the warm water to create the full storm.  Trees fell in Rapid City.  A newly constructed wall fell where the Central School addition is happening.  And, I was able to shoot only one bird, which is perhaps the greatest tragedy of all.

Ill winds have blown a lot of truly difficult cases my way as well.  It is in part, because of these, that I haven't written sooner.  They have been consuming my emotional and spiritual energy, and I can't say a lot about them.  Suffice it to say that poverty, violence, drugs, alternative lifestyles, a deplorable health care system, and addiction have all taken their toll on me. 

As I write, however, it seems that Aeolus has managed to capture the northwest wind and put it back in Odysseus's sack.  I pray it stays put for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and thoughts. I do not appreciate vulgarity, attacks on me, the Church, or other people who comment. Comments of this variety will not be published.